DELAWARE COUNTY YOUTH ORCHESTRA
MUSICIAN’S COMMITMENT (rev. 5/2020)
1. Musicians should be in their seats with their instruments, music and pencils, ready to play at 6:50 pm. Musicians should use this time to warm up and tune their instruments.
2. Musicians must bring their own music stand to all rehearsals.
3. Musicians are expected to practice their music before coming to rehearsal.
4. Any musician who arrives after the start of rehearsal will be seated at the back of the section until the break. Excessive lateness may lead to disciplinary action.
5. Any musician who needs to set up extra equipment, such as percussion, harp, doubling woodwinds, should arrive earlier to allow for extra time.
6. Musicians are expected to focus on the music and the conductor, and to refrain from any behavior that interferes with a productive rehearsal. Cell phones and other electronic devices must be put away during rehearsal. Any student using a phone or other device during rehearsal will have their device confiscated until the end of the rehearsal.
7. Gum chewing is not allowed during rehearsal.
8. Electronic devices and cell phones are not allowed during rehearsal.
Attendance is mandatory for all dress rehearsals and concert performances. Failure to perform in a concert may result in dismissal from the orchestra. Exception to this policy may be approved only by the music director in rare instances, and only at the beginning of the year.
Musicians may miss no more than two rehearsals per concert preparation period. Additional absences may result in suspension from the concert, at the discretion of the music director. To report absence from a rehearsal, musicians should send an email to email@example.com prior to that rehearsal. Excessive absences may result in loss of seating or dismissal from DCYO, at the sole discretion of the music director.
Musicians are required to attend both the orchestra’s 2-day fall retreat in September and the 1-day winter retreat in January. Exception to this policy may be approved only by the music director, and well in advance of the retreat.
Musicians should not arrive at rehearsal before 6:30 pm. Musicians should be collected promptly at the conclusion of rehearsal at 9:15 pm as our volunteers remain on the premises until all musicians have been collected.
The music director will notify musicians and their families by email of any cancellation of rehearsal due to inclement weather or other emergency. Notice of such cancellation will also be posted on the DCYO website. Please note, because rehearsals take place in the evening, DCYO does not necessarily follow the school-closing decisions of local school districts. Safety of our musicians and their families is our primary interest, and we endeavor to make the wisest decision possible with available information.
Decisions regarding seating, parts rotation and solo assignments may change throughout the season, and all such decisions are made solely at the discretion of the music director.
Music and Folder
Musicians must return their music after each concert. Musicians must return their folder after the final concert of the season. Musicians will be charged for the loss or mutilation of their music or folder.
Concert Dress Requirements
DCYO recognizes a musician’s right to self-identify gender. Musicians for whom the options below are not appropriate may make alternative arrangements by notifying the Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GIRLS: Solid black ankle-length dress; or solid black ankle-length skirt and solid black blouse; or solid black dress pants (no jeans or leggings) and solid black blouse. Sleeves must be at least ¾ length and cover the elbow (no short sleeve or sleeveless blouses). Black dress shoes (no flip flops or boots). No colorful hair ribbons, glittery jewelry or perfume.
BOYS: Solid black suit or tuxedo. Solid white long-sleeved dress shirt. Solid black tie. Black dress shoes (no sneakers) and solid black socks. No after shave.
On concert days, musicians should arrive at their call time in concert dress, ready for photographs.