YOUNG MUSICIANS’ ORCHESTRA (www.dcyo.org)
MUSICIAN’S COMMITMENT (rev. 5/2018)
1. Musicians should be in their seats (with instruments, music, and pencils) ready to play at 6:35 pm. Use this time to warm up and tune your instrument.
2. You are expected to practice your music before coming to rehearsal.
3. Anyone arriving after rehearsal begins will be seated at the bottom of their section until the break. Excessive lateness may lead to disciplinary actions.
4. Any musician needing to set up extra equipment (percussion, harp, doubling woodwinds) should arrive earlier to allow extra time.
5. All musicians are expected to be focused on the music and conductor, and to refrain from any behavior that interferes with a productive rehearsal. Cell phones and other electronic devices must be turned off during rehearsal.
6. No gum chewing during rehearsal.
7. No cell phone use during rehearsals.
1. Attendance is mandatory at all Dress Rehearsals and Concert Performances. Failure to perform in a concert may result in dismissal from the orchestra. Exceptions to this policy may only be approved by the Music Directors in rare instances, and only at the beginning of the year.
2. Students are allowed no more than two absences per concert preparation period. Absences above this limit may result in suspension for that concert at the discretion of the conductors. To report an absence, students should please contact Alison Manaker at email@example.com before rehearsal. Please inform us of your own absence only, not that of classmates. Excessive absences may result in loss of seating or dismissal from YMO; either of these decisions would be made by Ms. Shiota-Rosenbaum and Mr. Nick Pignataro, Conductors and Music Directors.
NOTE TO PARENTS: We respectfully request that students be dropped off no earlier than 6:15 pm and picked up promptly at the conclusion of rehearsal at 8:15 pm. A music director will remain on the premises until all students have been picked up.
1. In the event of a last-minute cancellation of rehearsal due to inclement weather or other emergency, you will be notified by e-mail from the Music Directors. This information will also be posted on the home page at www.dcyo.org.
2. YMO does not follow the school-closing decisions made by local school districts because we start so much later in the day than school districts do. In the event of inclement weather, a decision about cancelling rehearsal will be made at 3:00 pm. That decision will then be communicated on the home page of our web site and also through a group e-mail. We will not make an announcement until that time. Our primary interest is the safety of our students and families, and we will always endeavor to make the wisest decision possible with the information that we have available.
Seating: Seating, part rotation, and solo assignments are solely at the discretion of the Music Directors. These may change at any time during the semester.
Music: You must return your music by leaving it on your stand after each concert.
Concert Dress Requirements:
GIRLS: White blouse (sleeves must cover the elbow). Solid black ankle-length skirt or solid black dress pants (no jeans or leggings). Black shoes (no flip flops or boots). No colorful hair ribbons. No distracting or glittery jewelry.
BOYS: White dress shirt. Solid black dress pants (no jeans). Dark long tie. Black socks and black dress shoes.